Thursday 23 May 2013

Stop biting your nails!


So.


I have a confession to make.



I killed someone.


Not really.

I  mean I probably have killed ants, but they're not really "someone".  Otherwise I'm a mass murderer.

I don't like where this is going.

I’m pretty sure the title of this post gave it away.

I used to be a nail biter – never totally hardcore like down to half my nail bed but you could tell – and I picked at my cuticles.  It was a hard habit to break – but for those who are yet to do this – I have some tips.  They helped me – and maybe they’ll help you?MoisturiseSounds simple?  But DO IT.  Like not once a week – try to do it every day if you can.  People say “I don’t have time!?” but – have a tube in the bathroom so after you shower you squeeze out a dollop and rub it in – it seriously takes less than 20 seconds.  Or before bed?  That's when I put it on.  It might interfere with your sexy times - but maybe it'll add to the slippery fun?

File


There are different techniques on filing and the general consensus is you should file in one direction so as to not weaken the nail.  I’m pretty bad at this and I file both ways (oh yeah that’s how I roll).  But my point is more – have an emery board (or nail file) everywhere you go.  I have about 5 in my handbag, 1 in the car, 1 at my mums place, a couple at work.  Pretty much everywhere.  This means that when I get a chip and I’m tempted to get my rip on – I file it instead – and the damage is much less, PLUS there’s no sharp edge to play with or get caught on clothing.  Plus generally shaping your nail means they look better - and if they look better - maybe you no bite?

Stay present
This one sounds a little hippie-ish I know.  Buuuut.  When you start to bite your nails it’s usually a result of tension or stress.  I found if I was starting to bite – I would stop and realise and say “NO, I want to have nice nails” - although rarely out loud (unless I was in the car or at home).  It sounds pretty lame – but once you realise you’re doing it – it’s easier to say to your brain ‘hey- you shouldn’t be doing this’.

Get inspired

Something I liked to do was look online at nailart and beauty blogs – seeing others and their lovely long nails kinda made me think “I want to have nails like that”.

Moisturiser, cuticle oils, strengthening polishes and vanity are your friends.  I have some products that I prefer but each to their own – do your research.  Google is your friend!   :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahaha, it might interfere with your sexy times, youre funny!! Im a cuticle biter/ripper, so hard to break that habit, even though it hurts! But Im getting better, I think taking photos of your nails and posting them on instagram etc, makes you take a good look at how awful they really look when you chew or pick at them!